Re: Group status...

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM, François REMY wrote:

> If you join as an individual, you are directly responsible for what you say. If you join as a rep of your company, your company controls the membership.

Well, kinda. Depends on the company. While most people work as a company, it is usually taken that a person speaks as an individual unless stated otherwise. For example, look at the DRM discussions: guys from Google are vocally fighting for and against. As a general rule, people's views are taken as their individual view and not the one of their company (unless stated otherwise).

> There are also differences in the Intellectual Property Rights handling of what you may say or contribute to the group.

Yep.
> Since this group does not produce any normative content, this does not really apply to us.

Correct.

> If your company isn’t a W3C member, the question does not even arrive anyway because you can’t register as a rep of your company under those conditions.

I think that is correct.

> If we were a Working Group, it would be more difficult to join as an individual

The WG Chair would need to justify why the Invited Expert is needed and make a case as to why their employer won't pay for to join the W3C.
> but much simpler to join as a Member company representative, if I understood the discussion correctly.

You have.

--
Marcos Caceres