Re: <main>

Yah - I think simply minded I would make <main> recognized by older browsers for styling etc, but then extend the shim to provide the keystroke captures etc.

HTML5Shiv & Modernizr effectively does this for header/footer etc. I'd start there and extend. It wouldn't however change the DOM per se.

But I don't want to confuse: I'm now saying this is a good idea for a prolyfill. And the more we have discussed it the more I think it fits the definition of prollyfill and not polyfill.

(I think I've demonstrated with my responses that a prolyfill engine is needed as polyfill isn't always the best starting point for "yet to be standardized" things)