Re: Alex Russell on Polyfills and some other thoughts...

Brian Kardell :: @bkardell :: hitchjs.com
On Nov 17, 2012 11:41 AM, "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 17 November 2012 at 15:30, Brian Kardell wrote:
>

> > That would pretty nice, though I think we should probably discuss the
implications of that... a prollyfill probably shouldn't make any
assumptions in the native space because it isn't forward compatible. I
expect this is one of the primary things that needs discussion: I prefer
the proposed api go into a prefixed or data- or x- form so that it is
parallel with the proposal, so if it evolves to the point where it becomes
native there is no risk of the unexpected.
> I agree. We are actually having this discussion for real over in RICG
because the guys from Drupal want to ship <picture> in Drupal 8, but the
Picture spec won't be done for [insert length of piece of string here]^2.
So, it's going to serve as an interesting case study (I'm sure there are
many others, but this one is one that is happening right now).

> --
> Marcos Caceres
> http://datadriven.com.au

Yeah, that should be a custom tag and luckily there has been a lot of work
in that area...we did things like that 5-6 years ago and prefixing it is
definitely the way to go.