Re: Clarifying group scope and objectives

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Mat Scales <mat@wibbly.org.uk> wrote:

> On 4 December 2012 20:33, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>wrote:
>
>> > When thinking up this list I used this as my idea of what the groups
>> > objectives are: "To help third-party developers to shape future web
>> > standards by creating working implementations of new ideas, used in the
>> > wild, without requiring native support. To provide the resources,
>> > support and community neccessary for this work. To evangelize this
>> > process, and to advocate for successful implementations to be adopted
>> > as web standards. To lobby standards groups and browser manufacturers
>> > to include APIs and features that make the work possible."
>>
>> I think this is a good description.
>>
>> However, when I see the prolyfill list, I just want to clarify that we'll
>> probably not work on many actual prolyfill on the list, but more on the
>> tools/guidelines needed to write them. Our role is not to develop a
>> parallel "de facto standardization" group, just to make it possible to
>> create and evangelize them.
>>
>> Naturally, that doesn't mean we should not work on some prolyfills to
>> play with the concept, make some fun, and make our own developer work
>> easier (in fact, I think we'll, because we like that) but that should not
>> become our goal, it should stay an aside.
>>

> No, I agree. The list was about nailing down what we consider to be an
> extension, not things for us to make. The question I guess I was really
> asking is: what are the types of things that we are going to help people
> build. The examples were all made up on the spot as illustrations.
>
> The answer to my question seems to be "All of those things (unless they
> break existing stuff)". There had been a lot of discussion in the list
> archive that centered around CSS and building CSS parsers which was a
> little narrow in scope. Just wanted to check that we would cover other
> things too.

Mostly because as I said this is currently the hardest one to fill and
partly because Francois and I are really pretty active on www-style and
have a draft we'd like to see there (
http://fremycompany.com/TR/2012/ED-css-custom/) and clint and I have
hitchjs and two other projects we've not open sourced, we've also spoken
with some of the folks at Adobe and SASS about some of these concepts as
well.

Marcos has also shared some pretty interesting stuff on DOM/ECMA and there
are already a few base implementations of Web Components which takes care
of a bulk of the tag oriented stuff.