Re: javascript manifests in webapps group

On Friday, 11 May 2012 at 21:25, Scott Wilson wrote:

> Thanks Charles,
>
> I've seen this format before, and it can potentially be aligned with Widgets, e.g.
I would be keen to see them align. They are basically the same.
> 1. Rename properties to match their direct equivalents in Widgets P&C (e.g. developer -> author, screen_size:min_width -> width etc)
> 2. Feature names should be IRIs as in WIdgets rather than strings

I think we made a boo-boo in widgets by using URIs for feature names. This should just be an opaque string (URIs that can be dereferenced s suck as identifiers).
> 3. Orientation and fullscreen needs harmonizing with viewmodes

Viewmodes doesn't really handle orientation, it should be handled by the device adaption CSS spec:
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-device-adapt/#the-lsquoorientationrsquo-descriptor

> 4. Add any missing properties defined in P&C and TWI such as license, short_name

agreed.
> I think also the app store registry, lifecycle and events would be better split out from the JSON manifest spec.
>
> All doable I think if Mozilla are happy to be flexible on this.

I imagine/hope they would be, otherwise it's pointless to push for standardisation if only one company backs the format (that's just standardisation for marketing reasons).

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au