Re: Magic file: splash.[png,gif,jpeg,etc...]

On 7 Dec 2011, at 00:50, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Wednesday, 7 December 2011 at 00:26, Filip Maj wrote:
>
>> This was the approach with PhoneGap for the longest time, before we
>> started following the widget spec. I believe we used "default.png" for
>> filename but that's just a label.
>
> ok, excellent. So then we have some precedence.
>
> I've added splash.[png,gif,jpeg,svg] to the spec:
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/nativeapps/raw-file/8d2ee8f7b842/splashscreen/Overview.html

Looking good!

Two things:

1. Is it necessary to define both a magic file and a content attribute? I can see the UC for maybe wanting to use a different filename, but is it a big enough UC? Is there another reason for it? Or is it more that we are following the pattern of the <content> and <icon> elements where we have both default magic files that can be overridden by the author?

2. While SVG is one of the standard formats we habitually list in images, Brian indicated that it isn't currently supported in device OSs for displaying splash screens. Its probably worth including in the top spot as if it does get supported it gets around the scaling issues, however perhaps we need an Authoring Guideline suggesting widget authors shouldn't rely on SVG alone and always include a non-SVG splash image.