RE: Hello, n3

Hi Doerthe, all,

Thanks very much for helping to initiate this work, and your initial list of issues with N3! It looks like you’ve done a lot of very interesting work. Some initial two cents from my end:

* As an aside, I was wondering in what cases rules in consequences would be useful from a logical point of view (don’t have access to [1] right now). Isn’t the following just as effective:

{ ?C1 rdfs:subClassOf  ?C2, ?x a ?C1 } => ?x a ?C2

But I understand why it could be (syntactically) useful from a pre-processing point of view—since only the initial rule body needs to be instantiated with TBox terms (?).

For me personally, the interesting part about N3 is the fact that it supports a rule layer, making it much more than a “readable RDF syntax”. It makes passing rules together with the dataset very easy (although SPIN also supports this).

* As mentioned by Doerthe, and unbeknownst to me previously, N3 allows to describe statements directly using “formulae”, without having to explicitly “s-p-o-encode” the described statements, i.e.,

{ :william dc:wrote :Moby_Dick } a n3:falsehood .

As also referenced by Doerthe, this very much reminded me of the work by Hartig et al., who introduced an extended semantics (RDF* and SPARQL*) [1] for reification support. Doerthe, it’s not clear what you mean by saying that reification is excluded by RDF semantics (then again, there are whole parts on that page that are unclear to me ..).

*         From a “developability” point of view, it’s great that N3 can represent lists in a non-triple form, but it doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the Team Submission [2] (it is mentioned on the N3 logic page [3]).

*         I believe there could be a semantic layer, aside from a syntactical one, that facilitates working with lists (i.e., RDF collections). For instance, when computerizing the OWL2 RL axiomatization, one often runs into the following types of rules:

{ ?c owl:unionOf ?l, ?l x:member ?cl } => ?cl owl:subClassOf ?c

Where the x:member can be supported by adding an extra few rules [4]. Using rdfs:member seems to do something similar for RDF(S) containers, but that’s much easier since containers do not represent linked lists.

Even in case all list elements need to be referenced:

{ ?c owl:intersectionOf ?l, @forall :cl (?l x:member :cl, :cl a ?t, ?y a ?t) } => ?y a ?c

As mentioned by Reynolds [5], such a rule could be replaced by 3 auxiliary rules for support by general-purpose rule engines.

Maybe such rule-based representations could form the basis for an extended semantics (?) while N3-supporting reasoners could optimize support for them.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Note that I tend to work more on the application side of things ([4] was a rare venture for me, even though it is already a bit applied).

William

[1] Hartig O, Thompson B. Foundations of an Alternative Approach to Reification in RDF. CoRR 2014;abs/1406.3.

[2] https://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/n3

[3] https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Notation3.html

[4] http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/system/files/swj1881.pdf (code 7)

[5] https://www.w3.org/TR/rif-owl-rl/#Forward_intersectionOf_rule