Re: http://dabase.com/guidelines.html

Hi Kai,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on your comments...

Le mardi 03 février 2009 à 16:53 +0000, Kai Hendry a écrit :
> Firstly I just want to say that the guidelines document is looking
> much better. Great work guys.

Thanks!

> I copied the http://dev.w3.org/2008/dev-ind-testing/guidelines.html to
> my local server and changed some dl to ol and fixed a typo. I prefer
> ol over ul as people can say:
> [...]

Makes sense, I've incorporated it that change to the main version of the
doc.

> As for other ideas:
> 1 encourage short test urls

I have added that under keyboard access.

> 2 encourage people to lint/validate test code, like
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/IDE
> 3 encourage javascript, css and html to be separated to make validation easier

That doesn't seem specific to device-independence, though, is it?

> Really didn't like point 3 of Target devices. What test for e.g.
> requires server side adaption?

Well, the mobile test harness does some simple server side adaption, by
picking text/html vs application/xhtml+xml, and I can imagine more of
similar cases.

> I didn't agree with "When using colors to express the result of the
> test, convey the result also with text.". I think colours are enough.

Well, I had specific issues with tests that rely too much on colors: one
of my (pretty old) mobile phone has a very limited XHTML/CSS browser,
and although the phone itself has colors support, the browser didn't.

> As I mentioned during the call, "memory limitations" could be reworded
> to be something to be aware of. I really doubt someone is mad enough
> to write a test that would accidentally go over the limit here. I
> would simply say keep your line count low.

The DOM Level 1 test suite was a pretty visible example of a test suite
that went way over the limits of most mobile devices; and our reviews of
performances tests showed quite a few more examples of these, so I think
we should keep that one in.

> I thought it might be worth mentioning emulators. As we all know,
> nothing beats testing on the actual device.
>
> Next I was going to perhaps mention using the lowest common
> denominator of <body onload="". Or making the buttons on interactive
> tests bigger. Or perhaps a tip about recording the user agent.

That sound like potentially useful guidelines - would you mind proposing
some text?

Thanks!

Dom