Re: Write up of test assertion extraction methodology

Dmitri Silaev wrote:
> Hi Dom,
>
> Here is my comments for "Extracting Test Assertions from a
> Specification" document. The document looks very good. I have only minor
> comments.
>
> I. "3. Mark-up conventions for test assertions"
>
> "Each assertion is uniquely identified through the id attribute on the
> paragraph element; the unique identifier starts by convention with ta-,
> and its uniqueness is ensured by the HTML validity requirements of the
> document."
>
> Is it useful to explain the best practice how to get the assertion the
> unique assertion id? For example, "its uniqueness generated randomly is
> ensured..." It saves reader from solving the riddle what "RRZxvvTFHx"
> means.

Agreed. We need to change this to just use one or two characters or a
number; Something easy to use... assigning the long random string was a
big mistake on my part, which caused a few headaches.

In the Widget Interface spec, I've been working with short identifiers:
just two letters. This makes life a lot easier.

> II. "4. Extracting automatically test assertions"
>
> "The original extraction of test assertions was made through an XSLT
> style sheet, that allowed to generate a static list of test assertions
> that served as the first basis for the review of the testability of the
> specification."
>
> I believe it need to be explained where the extraction was made, e.g.
> "When "Widgets Packaging and Configuration" specification was marked up
> by convention said before, the original extraction of test assertions
> was made through an XSLT style sheet,..."

I'll just note that the only reason we didn't end up using it in the end
was just a matter of preference (I personally don't know XSLT and get
very confused every time I try to use it. Coming from front-end web dev,
I'm more at home with CSS Selectors which is the reason why we remade
the extraction using JQuery... actually, I believe my original version
of the extraction tool used the Selectors API ).