RE: White paper on the potential next steps on mobile web in developing countries

Dear Stephane,

If you will indulge me one more time, I would like to offer a bit of an
expansion on statement below.  It seems to me the paradigm rising to the
top of the agenda is how we can adapt more powerful text communication
and web access capabilities to the less powerful but highly affordable
mobile handset devices dominant in the developing world.  In the
alternative, bet on the trend that the cost of "state-of-the-art" mobile
technology will continue to plummet to a level that it is affordable and
accessible to those on the other side of the divide.  To be more explict
with my suggestion below, I think it is worthy to explore the propostion
that 1) There is a huge potential growth market (certainly need) for
affordable, highly flexible information communication technologies that
can support rich text communication and web applications among
populations of the developing world. 2) At the moment this developing
nation market demand is being addressed through creative adaption of
past generation technologies developed for market dominant segments of
the world, not through direct explicit design, and 3) It is possible,
that the technology needed to reach those presently on the other side of
the divide is substantially different that what is presently developed
for the "mass market". And 4) It is most consistent with the principles
of universal web access to carefully consider and advocate technological
solutions (both hardware and software) that are designed to the
standards and needs of the developing world users on the other side of
the divide--emphasizing values of affordability to ordinary people in
"poor nations", ease of use, limited energy demands, low cost of
deploying the supporting backbone telecommunications infrastrucuture
needed to reach more remote areas, ability to easily work across
multiple languages and cultures.

This approach would need to be careful not to suggest that only these
targeted solutions are appropriate for the developing world.  Even
within the poorest nations there are those that need what might be
referred to as higher end main-stream communication solutions (for
example newer laptops equipped with wi-fi or high end smart
phones)...Universal web access requires we don't create one-size-fits
all solutions but rather we create solutions that enable the broadest
group of people to benefit from web communication access.  Hope this
makes some sense.

bill