That's what we call a 'bar of soap'!

From: Mira Slavova <mira@mmd4d.org>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 12:22:55 +0200
To: <gcard-africa@dgroups.org>
Cc: "'FARA Regional Agricultural Information & Learning System Community'" <rails@dgroups.org>, "'Public mw4d'" <public-mw4d@w3.org>
Hello,

I have a quote for you:

"Some of [us], [we] call it 'a bar of soap' because they are big. Those
ones, they don't have camera and they don't have music player. That's what
we call a 'bar of soap'. Those ones, [we] don't like them. [.] This one has
a torch light on it. A basic one [is] without a torch light. If any of [us]
had one with a music payer, and a camera, and those things, you will see
which one because [people] will be following him because of the music. [.]
"-participants, Kwaku community, Northern Ghana

If you are interested in reading observations and impressions collected
during my participatory fieldwork in rural Ghana, please have a look at my
latest blog post.

http://mmd4d.org/2014/05/16/information-ecology-of-kwaku-community-in-northe
rn-region-rural-ghana/

Talking to people in Kwaku was a very interesting experience, revealing how
they relate to ICTs- particularly mobile, TV and radio. People in the
community acquired TV sets on the promise of electrification but it was
never realized. They love music and radio!

Cheers,

Mira