Re: Comments on impact analysis document

Hello,
Just passing on some comments about the impact analysis document in advance of today's call.

So far I think the criteria is quite good! I particularly like the focus on how mobile web use impacts people's lives rather than focussing too much of tracking "usage" (data consumption, frequency etc.) When however usage is tracked, I think it's also important to note (where possible) the site that was visited given that certain sites (e.g. the free 0.facebook.com service) may encourage high usage yet have no direct/implicit link to actual usefulness/benefit.

It's also important to note that usage is rising globally and will presumably continue to do so for all sorts of reasons (e.g. 3G rollout in urban centres (where most people now live), more powerful featurephones at lower price points, better browsers, more services related to video or other 'heavier' media etc.). So over a long period, usage will probably go up regardless. A related usage criteria that would also be interesting is around progression of usage for an individual e.g the first week the person acquired a mobile/installed Opera Mini, their usage was "x" but 3 weeks later it is "x". This type of data could be useful to provide business cases for these services long-term (to prove that while adoption may take time, once a user acquires basic skills and infrastructure (device/browser/data enabled SIM), they will likely increase their usage of a service.

Finally, the one thing that I think impacts these services quite a bit is the availability of resources for people who build them. (barring W3C, Opera and dotMobi) there are still very few (free + online) resources related to mobile web development for non-smartphone devices. Even fewer of these are mobile accessible themselves (although this may not immediately be as important..or maybe it is?)

The ability for anyone/everyone to understand how to build an inexpensive, lightweight, scalable mobile presence that supports devices in their target region (and understanding what those devices may be) would I think have a large impact on the efficacy of these potential services. I'm not sure how to incorporate this into the impact analysis (if it even should be) but I think this may be a factor worth discussing.

Betty...is the impact analysis currently only focussed on mobile web (i.e. web site/app accessed through a browser)?

Steph

http://yiibu.com
Yiibu: Lovingly crafted mobile experiences

+44 (0)7957 651 177
Twitter: stephanierieger