RE: After Access - Challenges Facing Mobile-OnlyInternet Users in the Developing World

Just thinking out loud. Is this an issue in other language(s) outside
India?

Best,

Nicolas

Dr Nicolas Chevrollier

TNO Information and Communication Technology

Room BA 206

Brassersplein 2, 2612 CT Delft,

Tel:        +31 15 285 73 54

mob:        +31 62 247 24 96,

Twitter: nchevrollier

http://bopimpact.nl

On

> Behalf Of Prashanth

> Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 4:43 AM

> To: Stephane Boyera; public-mw4d@w3.org

> Subject: Re: After Access - Challenges Facing Mobile-OnlyInternet
Users in

> the Developing World

> As far as India is concerned the biggest issue is rendering of local

> language fonts in the mobile browsers. Note that I am not even
pointing

> to user having to key in text in local languages, but very
unfortunately

> the Indian fonts do not even get displayed in the mobile browser.

> Today we have over 80,000 mobile websites created using our tool

> www.mobisitegalore.com and over 50% come from India, but there is no
way

> that they can created a mobile website in Hindi or Tamil because the

> fonts would just not render in the mobile browser.

> This is an important missing link as most people in India cannot read

> English.

> Warm regards

> S.Prashanth

> CEO

> www.akmin.com

> On 05-Jul-2010 5:17 PM, Stephane Boyera wrote:

> > Dear All,

> > i want to share with you a very good paper from S. Gitau, J. Donner

> > and G. Marsden.

> > The paper is attached

> > References are:

> > Gitau, Shikoh, Marsden, Gary, & Donner, Jonathan. (2010). After
access

> > - Challenges facing mobile-only internet users in the developing

> > world. Proceedings of the 28th international conference on human

> > factors in computing systems (CHI 2010) (pp. 2603-2606). New York:
ACM.

> > One of the first papers i see focusing on the barriers of using
mobile

> > web in developing countries by people without PC access and
experience.

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/disclaimer/email.html