Re: I18N, fonts and mobile (was Re: After Access – Challenges Facing Mobile-OnlyInternet Users in the Developing World)

On 5 Aug 2010, at 16:53, David Storey wrote:

> On 5 Aug 2010, at 16:42, Stephane Boyera wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> thanks for the information.
>> Could-you let me know what font transcoding is ?
>> i mean the opera proxy for mini detect that a page requires
>> specific fonts, let's say hindi. What is it doing ?
>> Are you saying that opera mini does not use the system fonts?
>
> I've just received some more information. It uses system fonts where
> available.
>
> In general, Opera Mini depends on the phone supporting the script.
> We have a special setting for those that have phone which don't
> support certain complex scripts, but it only works in some cases.
> You can try this out by going to "opera:config" in Opera Mini's URL
> bar. At the bottom there's an option to activate "Use bitmap fonts
> for complex scripts".  Change this to yes, press the save button and
> go to your Hindi site of choice. This will make the server render
> some languages, instead of relying on the phone’s support for that
> script. As far as I understand this transcodes what the server (as
> special instance of Opera) renders into a specially crafted bitmap
> font (so it is still a font, just the glyphs are turned to bitmaps,
> like the bitmap fonts of old before most fonts became scalable
> vectors,  and sent to the phone).  You can try this without Mini by
> going to http://www.opera.com/mobile/demo/ (but be aware it will
> most likely work out of the box if your machine has the correct
> fonts installed)

I should have added that while you can manually turn this on, it will
most likely be turned on by default if custom configurations request
it, such as an operator version in a market that uses a supported
complex script where font issues are common.