Re: I18N, fonts and mobile (was Re: After Access – Challenges Facing Mobile-OnlyInternet Users in the Developing World)

> On 5 Aug 2010, at 08:55, Stephane Boyera wrote:
>
>> For instance i'm wondering if the current major issue is on the
>> phone side and lack of fonts, or on the content side, and lack of
>> content available and/or correctly written in one or the other
>> indian languages .

I bumped into one of our Indian sales guys in the corridor and he
mentioned that phones in India are usually sold with Hindi fonts, so
Opera Mini works fine with Hindi web sites. He also mentioned that it
doesn't matter too much for Opera Mini as we do font transcoding (this
needed for for example TATA, one of the biggest Indian telecoms
companies) such as we do content transcoding, so it should work with
those languages even when there are font issues.

David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32 / E-Mail/XMPP: dstorey@opera.com / Twitter:
dstorey