Re: new updated roadmap available

Hi Stephan, Renjish and all,

Your exchange suggests an important aspect. If the group is working on
"mobile web for development", I guess we also need to have a small
section on:
- General issues/challenges the mobile solutions can/should address (in
the development context),

then,
- Specific advantages and challenges of each mobile technology (i.e.
SMS vs GPRS, etc.)
should indeed be closely linked with
- Major challenges for developing and accessing mobile services.

Here we need to remember that we talk about a long list of countries
and almost as many specific contexts (including within countries
themselves, urban/rural, etc.). We may want to categorize contexts in
order to point to adapted/suitable solutions.

Finally, typing content into the road map will reveal to us what
structure makes more sense. Maybe we could also make use of internal
document links?

Steph, what process would you suggest, so that we make the best
collaborative writing effort?
I know that wikipedia (mediawiki) has a discussion page attached to
each article and it seems to do wonders. Maybe you could create such a
page (roadmapv2-discussion), so we centralize all the discussion points?
Multiplying and dispersed emails seem less efficient.

Last point to share, I found that "subscribing" to
http://www.w3.org/2008/MW4D/wiki/roadmapv2 is quite useful as I am
told (by email) when changes have occurred in the page.

Cheers,
Raphaël

>>> Stephane Boyera <boyera@w3.org> 02/06/2009 10:04 >>>
Hi Renjish,

Thanks for your comments. my views:

> Shall we bring in the technology section before the challenges?
>
> By this, we can summarize the status quo on available technologies,
> tools etc... and then discuss the challenges (which includes the
market
> and technology challenges), most of which you have listed.

That sounds indeed reasonable. Let's hear what other people think.

> I presume that the conclusions section will discuss the potential
> directions to be taken? Can we have this as a separate section before

> conclusions and then keep conclusions as a more general and brief
> summary of the key items in the document?

In my view, the direction to be taken would appear in both technology
and challenges section.
Particularly, in the challenges section, for each identified item, when

possible, we might be able to propose workaround that possible today in

specific cases, and more long term R&D or standardization activities.
e.g. for illiteracy and content in local languages, possible options
today is to either use trusted intermediaries (e.g. VPO) or to use
non-textual channel such as voice. On more longer term, the association

of menaingful icons with voice annotation is a potential direction to
follow. so that's why i propose that future directions to be explored
in
each challenge. and also in each technology when appropriate. e.g. in
voice, availability of fully standard-compliant free and open source
voice browser, or definition of usability guidelines are challenges
tied
to a specific technology and should appear in the releated section.

best
Stephane