Re: monitoring and assessment

Hello Stephane,

Following my action points, I have re-written the objectives of the roadmap.
Hope I've managed to stay true to the content and the text  is a bit clearer
now.

I am including a copy of Heeks and Molla's compendium on impact assessment.
I agree that probably discussing M&E concerns in detail is slightly beyond
of the scope of the roadmap. But I think a reference to the compendium is
called for in the document.

I've been reading section 6 a bit more closely and I have the following
comments:

6.1.1, paragraph 1: I think the last sentence should be brought forward as
an opening of the accessibility section.

6.1.1, paragraph 2: "in the following of this section" to become "in the
following section"

6.1.2, heading. Currently the heading is "Using literate intermediaries".
The individual behaviour the section refers to is known in the literature as
"proximal literacy". I think we should use this term.

6.1.2, paragraph 2: The text is a bit unclear in describing intermediation
and proximal literacy as a barrier. I do agree that the set up of
organisations formalising such behaviour is costly and time consuming. At
the same time, if we look at it as an individual and informal behaviour, it
is one of the strengths of the tightly-knit communities in developing
countries. Leveraging the social networks of the poor has been identified
recently by UNDP as a strategy for growing inclusive businesses. See UNDP,
2008, "Creating Value for All: Strategies for Doing Business with the Poor".

6.1.5, paragraph 3: This paragraph focuses on the trade-off between RoI for
end users, understood as measurable benefits such as increases in income,
savings, education etc. I agree that instrumental use of mobile technology
and its measurable impact on economic development are usually the reasons
behind project funding. Still, personally I am in favour of a broader view
of the impact of technology. Non-instrumental use of mobile has a
qualitative impact on human development which is much more difficult to
quantify. I think our roadmap should allow for as broad of an understanding
of the term "development", just as it allows for a broad understanding of
the term "mobile web".

As for the examples, I would be interested in contributing to their
write-up. One interesting USSD example I am aware of is
http://txteagle.com/in Kenya. I'd be happy to contact them, find
details and writing something
up if you would like me to. Please, let me know by email as I shall not be
able to take part in our next phone call.

Thanks,
Mira

--
Dr Mira Slavova