Re: Intro

From: Stephane Boyera <boyera@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:16:03 +0200
To: Henri Asseily <hasseily@telnic.org>
CC: public-mw4d@w3.org
I'm sorry to jump in this discussion, but while learning about .tel
might be interesting, i'm not sure i understand how this relates to the
topic of this group ?
Stephane
Henri Asseily a écrit :
>> Doesn't this "Telnic-managed proxy system" threaten to become the next
>> Facebook then? I have to friend you with this service
>> http://telfriends.tel/login_input.action
>
> You don't have to. This is simply a convenience system to exchange
> public keys and private subdomains (i.e. "here's where you can get my
> contact info encrypted for you").
>
>> Does not seem like a highly distributed system like the Web is
>> supposed to be. http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/
>
> We'll be happy to link .tel friending to any distributed system that
> simply provides PKI and a unique string, with proper messaging.
> Again, you don't need to use the friending system. You could give me
> your public key, I'd encrypt the NAPTRs and store them in a special
> subdomain, and give you its name. The TelFriends system is just
> convenience for this process.
>
>> The NAPTR triples look a little complicated to me. Isn't it better if
>> contact details are aggregated from a homepage with simpler HTML
>> markup? A microformat?
>
> Not at all. The web is horribly misunderstood as a provider of
> everything to everyone. It has a lot of overhead and is exceedingly
> complex for something as simple as storing key/value pairs. The DNS is
> incredibly faster and cheaper for mobile devices.
>
>> How do you prevent spam? Surely a bad robot can easily trawl .tel
>> records for our contact details and bombard us with spam?
>
> Encrypt the records. That's what privacy is for. Good luck for a spammer
> to find your friend's private key and your hidden subdomain for his
> data. It's your choice to publicize or not your contact info. And if you
> do want to publicize it, it needs to be used as simply as a click to call.
> See my sample video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OucbqWtH6kk
> It's all real time. Having worked with the web for so long, we forget
> that there's a great simple, distributed, fast and ubiquitous database
> that we use all day long and forget about: the DNS.

Stephane Boyera		stephane@w3.org
W3C				+33 (0) 5 61 86 13 08
BP 93				fax: +33 (0) 4 92 38 78 22
F-06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,