Re: Some Thoughts on Roadmap Document (Technology)

From: joe michiels <jmichiels@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:46:20 -0700
To: public-mw4d@w3.org
As kicked off in my last email, here's part 2, a very primitive take on the
"Technology" section outlined in the wiki.  I'm no authority on the topic,
but figured I'd help conversation get of the ground.

Hope this helps,
-Joe Michiels

*Technologies*

Section Description

In this section, we are identifying the different existing technologies that
are available to deploy content and services on mobile phones

Section Items

1)      *Software*:

Software development for client/device mobile communication can be holistic
(where an OEM dictates a device's functionality), but commonly expands to an
ecosystem of low and high level applications. As the ecosystem grows,
development can be siloed into limited where particular developers have
control/restriction on features/functionality.

Without going into exhaustive definition of mobile technologies, there are
prevalent themes in the mobile world tied to software platforms.

         For brainstorming, this list was derived from Vision Mobile's
"Seven Centers of Gravity In Mobile"

http://www.visionmobile.com/blog/2008/08/application-environments-order-from-chaos/

o        Google

o        LiMo

o        Nokia

o        Qualcomm

o        Apple

o        Microsoft

o        Adobe

2) *Hardware*:

Hardware in it's broadest definition is the ecosystem of devices (from
OEMs), network (carriers/operators), and 3rd parties (add on
components/hardware, ).
*OEMs:* [ Summary of current state of OEMs?]
*Network Operators: *[Summary of current state of cellular network
providers]
*Integration Partners* [role of 3rd parties in OEM development]
*Semiconductor Companies *[?]