date about web or jave -enabled vs non web or non java-enabled phones ?

From: Stephane Boyera <boyera@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:33:39 +0200
To: public-mw4d@w3.org

Hi,

i'm trying to find some data about the number of phones in region like
africa, latin america, south-east asia, china, india, ... which have
potential ways of connesting to the web. This includes web-browser, or
at least java-enabled phones to host product like opera mine.
While i found some data about growth of mobile web access from africa,
east europe, and other regions, i was not able to get some figures about
the percentage of phones which might potentially be used to connect to
the web.

I noticed that many people are taking strong positions (either stating
that all phones would be web enabled in 5 years, or saying that due to
the grey/second hand market, before seing web-enabled phones in remote
places it might take 20 years) but i can't find concrete evidences and
data for one or the other side. So this is a problem, and i believe also
this might affect somehow our work.

So if anybody has some data, or some clues about how we could get them,
this would be useful.

Cheers
Stephane
--