Re: getting work done [was Re: http://www.w3.org/2008/02/MS4D_WS/papers/unicef-w3c-presentation.html]

Thanks for bringing this up. I too felt that we ought to keep track of the
concrete achievable goals of the group on which we should make progress
going forward.

>(Goal 1: Challenges to Identification)

>- can we first agree on a list of ways that
>   mobile is being used to deliver ICT-based services?

Keeping the first part of Goal 1 listed above, how about documenting a list
of different projects we are already aware of and that utilize mobile to
deliver ICT based services. This effort would not only help us to gather
the state-of-the-art of innovative solutions people have deployed but also
hopefully point us to the emerging categories of  mobile based ICT services
as well as the gaps that exist (leading to the other parts of Goal 1).

The list could be an active document to which we keep on adding more
project/solutions as we find them along with the lessons learnt from each
of those.

Does that sound like a reasonable step to take ?

thanks and regards
Arun Kumar

http://www.research.ibm.com/people/a/arun
World Wide Telecom Web :
http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/research_people.nsf/pages/arun_kumar.WWTW.html

             Jeff Sonstein
             <jeffs@it.rit.edu
             Sent by:                  public-mw4d@w3.org
             public-mw4d-reque                                          cc
             st@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       getting work done [was Re:
             11/07/2008 06:38          http://www.w3.org/2008/02/MS4D_WS/p
             PM                        apers/unicef-w3c-presentation.html]

On Nov 6, 2008, at 6:02 AM, public-mw4d@w3.org wrote:

> I've the feeling that we are somehow in a rathole.

(jeffs puts on his flame-resistant suit)

I find myself agreeing with Steph here...
and I fear never actually making any progress
if this Interest Group gets "stuck" here

from the W3C Process Document:

[ http://www.w3.org/2003/06/Process-20030618/groups.html ]

   "Working Groups typically produce deliverables (e.g.,
Recommendation Track
     technical reports, software, test suites, and reviews of the
deliverables of
     other groups)

     The primary goal of an Interest Group is to bring together people
who wish to
     evaluate potential Web technologies and policies. An Interest
Group is a forum
     for the exchange of ideas. [...] Interest Groups do not create
W3C Recommendations."

our group is *not* supposed to act like a "standards & practices"
producing Working Group...
we are here to evaluate potentials and exchange ideas and get a broad
discussion going
period

arguments over whether a particular technology is or is not
part of the browsable Web
are somewhat like arguing over
the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin...
they are not particularly useful to our chartered ends

--

from the MW4D charter:

[ http://www.w3.org/2007/12/MW4D/charter1.1.html ]

- how are mobile platforms delivering ICT-based services?
- what are the strengths & weaknesses of the different ways
    of delivering applications on mobile phones?
- what are the different type of challenges to developing & deploying
    ICT-based services in rural & underprivileged populations?
- what are the challenges to capacity building, to stimulating
    local content & app dev, and to empowering people?

these are the 4 basic questions for this group to address first
and they do not include the definition of
what is and is-not "the browsable Web"...
common-sense everyday-person definitions will do just fine
for the purposes of this Interest Group

I would suggest we stop the semi-religious arguments
about what is and is-not a part of the browsable Web etc
and focus on a step-by-step realization of the first of our 4 goals

--

(Goal 1: Challenges to Identification)

- can we first agree on a list of ways that
   mobile is being used to deliver ICT-based services?

- can we then use that to identify
   general categories of service-delivery
   and to elucidate their
   current & future strengths & weaknesses?

- can we then use those categories
   along with current & projected uses
   to identify the challenges to dev & deployment?

- can we then use those categories & "ideal-case uses" to identify
   the challenges to capacity-building
   the challenges to local content & app dev
   and the challenges to citizen empowerment?

this will lead us to a decently organized  approach to
goal 2:  the "Roadmap Definition"
but without that simple informational base
I fear we will never get there in any coherent fashion

--

jeffs

--
Reporter:
"What do you think of Western Civilization?"

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://chw.rit.edu/blog/
http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/emailDisclaimer.html