RE: Teleconferences

I have been visiting several "developing countries" and the problem in
most of them is, that they don't have good Internet connections.

The country might have only Internet connection via satellite -data
links. Those are slow and bandwidth limited. It means only few users can
have access same time to Internet from that country. Often mobile phone
networks are working quite well. But to use mobile phone to access
Internet has the same limitation as the operator has to use the same
satellite data link to get to Internet.

We in the western countries are spoiled with good optical fiber networks
providing wonderful fast Internet services with reasonably low cost.

In many developing countries they don't have the optical cable
connections to the Internet.

Often it is the university in the developing country which have the
Internet connection and it is controlled who can use it.

This is improving but slowly.

Br. Lauri