From: Stephane Boyera [mailto:boyera@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:52 PM
To: Bill Gillis
Cc: Nadeem Akhtar; public-mw4d@w3.org
Subject: Re: Teleconferences

Hi Bill and Nadeem,

> Stephane, I do not mean this be critical..but when one enters the
> W3C page to sign up to learn about becoming an official member, it
> states that it is required to participate regularly and accept the cost
> of participating in an international conference call conducted in
> English.  Also it is necessary to read through and agree to several
> statements written in rather complicated legal language that can be
> difficult even for a native English speaker.

Right. I understand that our administrative contract for non w3c members
may sound quite heavy. These pages are general to all W3C group, and as
such not particularly fully relevant to Mw4D. For instance, it may
happen that we would work more by mail, than through the
teleconferences. Thanks to VOIP i believe that the cost of telecomm
should be quite low, and i hope it is not a barrier to anybody.
I understand that the language might be a barrier, but unfortunately i
don't how to work around that.
I can imagine that some local group could work on their own, and have
only a spokeperson reporting to our group. but for now, i don't really
see how to organize that kind of setup.

> We came across the same challenge of lack of participation when we
> attempted to encourage regular 'conference calls' among African
> university colleagues discussing opportunties to utilize ICT for higher
> education collaboration.   In that case, there was better participation
> when we changed meetings to use Internet chat rather than voice conference.

I will be happy to hear from members of the mailing-list if they would
be more interested in live chat sessions that teleconferences ?

Cheers
Stephane