Re: Fwd: updated framework

Stephane,
     Will give my thoughts on this later this week. But to address your
first question, by "Assumptions" section, I meant a section where "what we
mean by certain terms" can be explained briefly. The objective will be to
give a consistent and a common understanding of these terms for our work.
Often, it happens that many terms can be interpreted differently by
different poeple or fora primarily because there is no standard definition
available. So, this section will be a little more than a glossary.

A similar approach has been taken by the Mobile Web Initiative guys:
http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp-scope/

Some terms that we definitely need to describe are: Mobile devices
and mobile web

Would like to get few clarifications on your response to my comments.

1. By GSM did you mean only GSM or any such mobile wide area technologies
such as CDMA? Because if you meant only GSM, then we are here making a big
assumption that the next 3 billion phones are going to be GSM-based. Not
sure if this is going to be the case. Secondly, if we consider any such
mobile technologies, we are talking about licensed spectrum. Usage of
licensed spectrum comes at a price. That is the reason, perhaps, alternative
community/rural initiatives have used/are looking at unlicensed networks
such as Wifi and some spectrum bands of WiMAX as a solution. Ken, can you
pls. shed some light on what are the trends by NGOs in this space?

2. As part of our solutions, are we ruling out proposing alternative
suitable mobile devices or platforms which are in existence,
and commerically viable for web, though not having mass penetration yet?
Shouldn't that be part of our objectives?

3. By "supporting web functionalities" I meant at least having the very
basic requirement for accessing web content, which is a browser (need not be
an advanced version). Jave/widgets can be the next level.

4.I didn't consider voice and sms based web access because I am unsure of
the economic and technological viability of voice and SMS based web
access. Pls. correct me if I am wrong here. I am interested in knowing any
sustainable case study available on this from our members. This can also be
a discussion point for the future. But my point here is that this should be
one of the cases we consider and not the only case. We should be open to
considering an alternative case which can substitute this device at a lower
cost and easy-to-use functions.

5. GSMA has in the past run the emerging handset initiative involving the
ultra low cost handsets (ULCH).
    http://www.gsmworld.com/emh/

A sample case of such a handset is Motorola's C113.
http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=123

This was a voice/SMS only phone because the objective was first to increase
the penetration of handsets. I will check if they have any similar
initiative for mobile web now.

Lauri, is .mobi involved in any such initiative?

Here is some analyst forecast in 2007, on the ULCH penetration in emerging
markets.

http://www.eetindia.co.in/ART_8800476872_1800007_NT_dcf3934c.HTM

The features of a ULCH, in my opinion, will change in the next 5 years as it
gets affordable and enjoys economies of scale.

Regards
Renjish