From: public-mw4d-request@w3.org [mailto:public-mw4d-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Stephane Boyera
Sent: 05 August 2008 14:48
To: Nadeem Akhtar
Cc: public-mw4d@w3.org
Subject: Re: updated framework

Hi Nadeem,

> 1. Stakeholders: I feel that the banking sector should be included. Mobile
> banking can potentially be of great help to people in rural areas where
> banks typically have a small footprint. I'm guessing that people involved
in
> healthcare and education are covered in the other headings such as
> International Organisations etc.

I believe that we already have people with  experience in M-banking.
(an author of a paper on this topic at the Brazil workshop is part of
this group)
That said, on the light of the discussion we had yesterday, the primary
focus of this group is on empowering grassroots, and facilitating their
use of the potential of the mobile platform.
While i can imagine health, education, agriculture,... services
developed and run by an ngo, the case of m-banking is slightly
different, given the specific regulation, and the required
infrastructure. I believe that the availability of m-banking is a topic
for operators, government and regulators, and not really for grassroots.
Moreover, this is a very hot topic and there are lots of activity in
this domain, driven by the above-mentionned actors. An example is the
recent m-banking summit in Cairo organized by gsma and the world bank
(see http://www.mobilemoneysummit.com/ ).

> 2. Goals -> Develop Resources: In addition to 'best practices', it might
be
> worth documenting some of the initiatives that did not work out.

what are you referring to ?

Best
Stephane

--