RE: minutes of August 4 meeting

Hello,

After reading them, it seems that some concepts (mobile=phone?) need to be clear. This is just a proposal.

The Information Technology(IT)[1] needs:
- Devices, or "Computer Hardware"[2] (physical part) that are operated by "Computer Software"[3] (the logical part)
- Comunication protocols, to make the device talk between them
- Content, the "load" devices send between them during comunication

(Perhaps the "Computer Software" could be an idependent

Each part can be divided in other. For example, devices, based in how they get energy to work could be:
- Fixed devices, because the need to be connected to the electrical grid to work
- Portable devices[4], because they can use batteries to work. In this category, it could be "handheld devices" or "mobile devices"[5], as portable devices that fit in user's hands

If we talk about comunication protocols, we could have:
- Short range comunications, like those based in "Personal Area Networks"[6]
- Medium range, like those based in "Local Area Networks"[7], even WLAN[8] technologies
- Global range, refering those like "GSM Networks"[9]

In the content side, there could be:
- Voice (audio): typical for phone comunications
- Plain text: typical for SMS i.e. but also for Bluetooth (short range) mensagges
- Multimedia (video?)
- Some kind of "Markup language"[10], that could include not just "the Web" as XHTML but "Web Services"[11]

Depending how you combine each category, you could get a specific device:
"Mobile"+"Global range"+"text" = "mobile phone for SMS" i.e.

Each category has specific beneficts and issues, and following this categories they could be listed in the MW4F Framework under the technology area.

As said before, just a proposal. Thanks and best regards,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_hardware
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_software
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_computer