Re: Framework document

Ken, Steph, All,
   That's where perhaps we need to have a clear description of the target
scenario detailing the ground realities and challenges as a background.

I was not talking about the commercial smartphone type of phones that are
available from mainstream vendors today, when I said mobile/multimedia
computers. What I meant was the kind mentioned in the following link:

http://www.amidasimputer.com/

Many of the initiatives for lesser developed regions have tried to come up
with low cost solutions such as these. These devices are not the traditional
phones or smartphones, are of lower cost, and they have capabilities to
access Internet and can use less expensive or free access networks such as
Wifi/Wimax. It is true that such solutions have not achieved mass scale
penetration as of now.

However, with the introduction of open platforms on a larger scale, whether
its Google's Android, or Nokia's Symbian (they recently opened it up) or
MAEMO, we can expect economies of scale and perhaps see more mainstream
handset vendors entering the scene.

Overall, the idea is that there will be a heterogenous set of device types
available to the end-user having multiple network interface capabilities in
the coming years and therefore using the term mobile "phone" may restrict us
from looking at all possible aspects to the solution.

Also, note that though our focus is on the device and related platforms, we
should not forget the economic and technology challenges caused by the other
elements in the end-to-end service delivery such as the access network
types. In many cases, these elements can influence the types of devices used
by our target end-users. For instance, a mobile network (GSM/CDMA) is easier
to launch that fixed lines but are expensive from a data usage view-point.

Another point to mention: Are we considering a specific time horizon for the
problems and our solutions ? Is it a 5 year or a 10 year plan? What is the
time period of "today" and "tomorrow"? This space is contantly evolving and
stating a specific numerical period may not be appropriate. It may therefore
be best to fix a clear set of challenges/scenarios for which we come up with
the solutions.

Vision statements usually are short. So, are we planning to have a separate
document where we go into the details of each section? Do we have a plan for
this?

Regards
Renjish