Re: Supporting Chant Notation Under Interlinear Text Layout

Hi Glen,

The International Text Layout effort will identify gaps in browser support
for the needs of various script, language and region based writing
traditions and propose solutions. Sub-communities have been formed around
scripts to address the bigger picture by working on the parts independently
while maintaining a degree of harmony.  Interlinear text practices are
found across many traditions (and sub-communities), and in w3c communities
outside of the direct scope of the International Text Layout initiative
-the Music Notation group was thought to be one such group.

A goal of a separate Interlinear Text Layout group would be to focus on
just the requirements of this special (irregular, relatively rare) case of
writing with the expectation that common requirements would be found. The
common requirements would then be addressed in a recommendation. This would
help avoid the various groups with interlinear text practices developing
separate, likely duplicate, and at worst incompatible markup and css
extensions.

thanks,

-Daniel