Supporting Chant Notation Under Interlinear Text Layout

From: Daniel Yacob <yacob@geez.org>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 10:38:10 -0400
To: public-music-notation@w3.org
Greetings,

I'm writing to alert people here to a new incubator group created to
collect and address requirements for "Interlinear Text Layout".

I came into the problem of laying out interlinear text when trying to
present the Ethiopic Zaima chant notation under available HTML markup.  I
thought people in this group may have interest or expertise in similar
traditions with staffless chant notation (Znamenny, Syric, Byzantine,
Hebrew, etc).  If so, I encourage you to please support the creation of the
Interlinear Layout Group here:

https://www.w3.org/community/groups/proposed/#itlcg

A new group is proposed following the recommendation of W3C experts because
interlinear text layout is important to a broad spectrum of manuscript
practices such as annotation, multilingual annotation in particular, and
translation.

FWIW, my own trials with CSS and HTML work arounds for presenting Zaima are
available at the link below.  Unfortunately the CSS tricks needed to get
the presentation right (or nearly so) are very sensitive to browser
version. The pages work best with Chrome version 61 or later (though not
validated recently):

http://w3c.github.io/elreq/zaima/

thank you,

-Daniel