Re: Identifying to which note a grace note is attached

From: Bernd Jungmann <bjungmann@t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:12:50 +0200
To: public-music-notation@w3.org
Hi Joe and Simon,

"not seen in conventional notated music"?

In capella, we support both appoggiatura and passing appoggiatura. In
German, the terms are Vorschlag and Nachschlag. I find various examples
for Nachschlag
(https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verzierung_(Musik)#Nachschlag
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verzierung_%28Musik%29#Nachschlag>,
http://www.klavier-noten.com/musik-literatur/VERZIERUNGEN.pdf), but none
for passing appoggiatura. Maybe passing appoggiatura it is not the
correct English term. But Nachschlag seems to be well known.
In our MusicXML export, we use the steal-time-previous attribute for
Nachschlag notes, and hope that the steal-time-following attribute
(documented "as for appoggiaturas"), will be implicitly applied if the
note has a <grace/> element.

Kind regards,
Bernd Jungmann
www.capella-software.com <http://www.capella-software.com>