Identifying to which note a grace note is attached

From: Simon Giddings <mr.s.giddings@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:11:11 +0200
To: public-music-notation@w3.org
Good afternoon,

Firstly, my comprehension of music notation is not extensive, so please
forgive me if I make any clearly wrong assumptions.

When using notation software, we can add a grace note or appoggiatura to
either the start of a note or after it.
At this point, we can decide to link the notes with a tie, a slur or
nothing as in this manner.

I have two questions :

 1. In MusicXML, how can I detect which to note the grace note is
    attached since there is no tie or slur ?
 2. Is this layout correct specifically for the second scenario ?

Best regards
Simon Giddings