Re: MNX Proposal now Available [via Music Notation Community Group]

I haven't checked the project yet, but it sounds to me like the problem
here is "what do you want to save?" "music or a music score?".

If it is the first, then no measures is the best, as music does not have
measures, it is something that humans invented to organise it.

If it is the second, then having measures is the best, as humans draw
measures in their music notation and use them to organise the notes.

I bet that MNX stands for Music Notation XML, and then what you want to
save is the notation, not the music itself (otherwise you would use an
approach more similar to MIDI).

And in my experience as a programmer I also think that XML is not a very
good format to support "operations" (move a note to another measure,
etc.), only serialize and de-serialize. I think the XML should be
transformed to a object structure in memory and the operations should be
performed to those objects, then saved again. And here you can choose to
save all the XML again or replace only the one referred by the objects
that have changed, but that is a matter to decide by every software
developer (for example, my Kunkunshi Editor saves everything again as
the XML parser I use is very simple).

Regards,

Rafael López García
Tanaka & Tajima Laboratory <http://www.dl.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp/wordpress/en/>
Department of Social Informatics <http://www.soc.i.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/>
Graduate School of Informatics <http://www.i.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/>
Kyoto University <http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en>
Yoshida Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
Tel.: +81-(0)75-753-4957
Fax.: +81-(0)75-753-5979
http://www.dl.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~rafael.lopez/
<http://www.dl.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp/%7Erafael.lopez/>