Re: MNX Proposal now Available [via Music Notation Community Group]

Hi all

I'm not a regular contributor (but a consistent reader of this mailing
list) but I thought I would also reply to this thread (also as a way of
clarifying somethings):

1. I think this issue relates back to a previous post by someone who
mentioned whether CSS should be included as part of the MNX proposal...As
this is explicitly is a 'Markup' language - it is about presentation and
contains view information - not necessarily semantic markup (although I
appreciate it can).  But as such, since bar lines (and any other visual
ways to represent pitch / duration) are specific in a score, that visual
representation should also be explicit in the markup representing it and
not implicitly renderer by the importer (as Adrian has highlighted).

Having said that - the proposal does say "MNX is a proposed music notation
markup standard. Its aim is to improve MusicXML in fundamental ways, while
retaining many of its key concepts, terms and features."  Therefore, is
there a need to separate out whether MNX is aimed to improve MusicXML or to
replace it entirely as a machine-readable / data interchange format and
contain display logic...

Apologies if this has already been discussed and going back over previous
ground.... :-)

Josh