Re: MNX Example Score Repository

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Joe Berkovitz <joe@noteflight.com> wrote:

> I have so far held off in order to avoid "example thrash" since converting
> a set of convincingly complex scores is non-trivial labor, and I think some
> of the structural underpinnings of MNX are not settled enough. I think once
> we get an initial round of feedback (the next several weeks?) then it will
> make sense to get on this.

My two cents: it would be a *lot* easier for people to grasp (and give
feedback on) this new format if they had a full example to look at, right
at the top of the proposal.

Reading a technical specification is one thing; seeing actual examples is
much more digestible. And the examples don't have to be complex — a simple
encoding of "Hot Cross Buns" would give people a sense of the overall shape
of an MNX document.

I know it's tempting to delay the effort due to a shifting spec, and I
understand the temptation to wait for a complex example to demonstrate
advanced features. But "Hot Cross Buns" ain't difficult. If it is, then the
spec has bigger problems. :-)

Adrian