Re: MNX Proposal now Available [via Music Notation Community Group]

Hi all,

Let me attempt to clear up the confusion that seems to be growing here.

The co-chairs are very firmly decided that the current *focus* (not scope!)
of the group is on supporting a semantic encoding for CWMN. This is the
main topic for Frankfurt and the area to which the MNX proposal has devoted
the most effort so far.

This does not mean that MNX is a CWMN-only standard. Via the content-typing
mechanism, MNX can support various notation approaches, including a
CWMN-focused one (the main work in front of us), an arbitrary, wide-open
graphics approach, and perhaps others. The *scope* of the standard thus
includes other notational systems and is not limited to CWMN. We do not
need to explore the characteristics of other notations in order to decide
whether the standard will embrace them or not.

For CWMN, a graphical approach does not eliminate the need for a semantic
approach, as has been underscored by others on this thread. So, we do not
need to enter into any heated debates about whether to go down the semantic
road for CWMN. Semantic CWMN markup will be one of the allowable content
types in MNX, and the one we look at in depth first.

A great deal of work remains to compare and contrast approaches to
arbitrary graphical scoring, as I've outlined in another thread. We see
this as an important but lower-priority discussion that can continue in the
background. However, we are devoting a bit of time in Frankfurt to talking
about it since it's been such a significant topic.

By way of reassurance, there is no intent to mandate that implementors
support all content types. CWMN-oriented applications interested in
semantic markup will probably only support the CWMN content type.

I've talked quite a bit with interested parties on the W3C staff about this
approach to dealing with non-Western (and Western-but-non-CWMN) notations.
They agree that different notation types will require different semantic
"modules", and that a purely graphics-based approach is *not* a viable
solution for applications that wish to work with semantic information.

Best,

Joe Berkovitz
Founder
Noteflight LLC