Re: The MusicXML challenge

Well, you can certainly pick out the pitches, but I would hesitate to say that you can actually 'play' it, since there is a lot of cultural knowledge that is lost in time.

How do you perform the ligatures at the end of the line? Are they separated or elided? What is the actual frequency that the 'C' clef is intimating (probably not based on A=440Hz)? Was it performed in equal temperament (highly unlikely), or pythagorean? Is there an implied rhythm to the lyric content, or are all notes performed in equal time?

Anyway -- things like that are probably not so relevant to this group. If you like discussions like this, you should join MEI-L! :)

-Andrew