Re: The MusicXML challenge and Chords

Good morning, everyone.

This is just a quick note to say that I generally agree with the philosophy that Jan put forth. My company is about to release an application that relies on quality MusicXML data. The hypothetical concept that MXML might go open source with forked branches would be a nightmare for us.

Accordingly, I generally applaud efforts to clarify and improve standards, and I very much look forward to the synergy within the music industry that results from such standards.

As we go forth, I hope that we can take the approach of building a set of specifications that offer generous boundaries that encompass notational oddities that we see in music from revered composers of the past as well as anticipate contemporary and future needs.

The possible length of a note is a case in point. As a composer, I have no need to write a 1024th note and as a performer I hope that I never have to see one. Nonetheless, I am glad that MXML does not set some lower limit, such as a 64th note, because there was a philosophy in place that suggested that anything shorter that was really unnecessary.

Regards,
George

George F. Litterst
TimeWarp Technologies