Re: Trill fonts (Whole step trill, and Half-step trill, ligatures, and turns?)

I agree that at least the tr1/2 is something I’ve seen in actual scores and is worth adding because of the difficulty of compositing and the analogy with tr[b] and tr[#].  If it is to be a ligature, I’d prefer it to be trill + 1/2 not vice-versa, since I can imagine having 1/2 trills or 1/2 section trills and having the ligature appear without meaning it.

tr1/2 is useful in situations where “tr[b]” can be ambiguous (does a B# with tr[b] really mean I should trill down to Cb?, I want to trill B# to C#, but tr[#] implies C##).

Best,
Myke

On Nov 12, 2017, at 12:22, Kentaro Sato (Ken-P) <kentaro.sato@yahoo.com<mailto:kentaro.sato@yahoo.com>> wrote:

Dear Daniel

>>My feeling is that "W" and "1/2" or "HT" don't belong in SMuFL as they can easily be written using any regular text font

Of course, "W" "1/2" themselves can be created with regular fonts. But the suggested combination of the fonts are very difficult to make/execute in notation programs (that is why people, including me, makes own fonts for them).

My view is that it would help scoring community a lot if such trills appear in the recommended ligature sections of Common ornaments "4.46."
Though current SMuFL doesn't address (excuse me if I am wrong),  "W" is U+0057 and "½" is U+00BD. So, the recommended ligature would be "uni0057_uniE566" for a trill with "W" on top, and "uni00BD_uniE566" for a trill with "½" on top, just like trills with sharp/flat/natural.

Now, if fonts for recommended ligature needs to be within SMuFL specification, then, oh well....

Sincerely Yours

Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
Composer & Conductor
Wiseman Project LLC/GK (President & CEO)
http://www.wisemanproject.com<http://www.wisemanproject.com/>