Re: MNX Proposal Overview

Hi Pavel,

Very good question. The plan is for the CG to create a reference
implementation of a MusicXML-to-MNX translator that is freely available and
in conformance with the spec. There is no proposal that this implementation
should use any particular toolset, and I am sure that translators will
ultimately be built using a variety of technologies.

I do not think that we should start from a position that XSLT alone can
perform this translation. This would seriously limit the way that MNX works
and how MNX expresses MusicXML concepts. I say this as someone who has
worked with XSLT and production-rule type systems extensively.

If it somehow turns out that XSLT does suffice, or can play some
appropriate role in translation, of course that's fine. I don't think there
is any bias against using any technology at all that can do the job and
present the algorithm in a clear way. I just don't think we should tie MNX
to any particular migration technology.

Best,

Joe Berkovitz
Founder