Re: Help with MusicXML Positioning

Hi Matthew,

Currently, these relationships are all font-dependent.  It all depends on where the font designer has placed the origin for that particular glyph.  Every font has its own placement for the origin of each individual glyph.  This is one of the many non-standard features of current music fonts, and is yet another reason for SMuFL, assuming that SMuFL will specify the glyph origins as well as the numbering and other metadata.  For example, one could specify the origin of all staccato glyphs at the lower left point of the glyph bounding rectangle, or any other easily describable point that would be common to all implementations of this glyph type.  But that’s not how things stand with regular music fonts at this moment.

—Evan