Re: Revised Community Group charter – request for feedback

Hi Daniel, All,

I've read the revised charter, and like what I see a lot!
Congratulations! :-))

Two quibbles:
-----
1. I have, of course, taken a specially close look at the GMNX definition:
> The GMNX format (working title), designed to represent instantiations
> of scores in terms of specific visual, performance and audio content
> and a set of relationships between these facets. GMNX aims to supply a
> high degree of interoperability to applications that do not depend on
> particular notational systems or their semantics.
Its not the _applications_ that don't depend on particular notation
systems. (Applications have to be written for particular notation
systems -- that are defined using GMNX settings.), so I'd suggest
changing the second sentence as follows:

"GMNX aims to be independent of particular notational systems and their
semantics, and to supply a high degree of interoperability to applications."

-----
2. I think there's a contradiction between the contents of
"Deliverables/Test Suites and Other Software" and  "Community and
Business Group Process/Software":

Under "Deliverables/Test Suites and Other Software", the document says:
> The CG intends to develop a test suite embodying the MNX, CWMNX and
> GMNX specifications. This will be developed in Open Source using the
> W3C Software License. The CG also intends to develop software to aid
> in the translation of existing MusicXML content into CWMNX. This will
> be developed in Open Source using the W3C Software License.
In other words: All software developed by the CG will be Open Source and
use the W3C Software License. Possible change (just for elegance):

"The CG intends to develop a test suite embodying the MNX, CWMNX and
GMNX specifications, and to develop software to aid in the translation
of existing MusicXML content into CWMNX. All software developed by the
CG will be Open Source and use the W3C Software License."

Under "Community and Business Group Process/Software" the document says
> This group produces no software.

I think this section probably meant to say that the CG produces no
_commercial_ software. Maybe the section could just be left out or
repeat that "All software developed by the CG will be Open Source and
use the W3C Software License."?

Hope that helps, all the best,
James

http://james-ingram-act-two.de