Re: Pömmelchen

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Andrew Hankinson <andrew.hankinson@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Of course, complex non-standard Western  music notations and semantic
> musical structures are probably better suited to the flexibility that MEI
> provides, so there is always that representational option as well.

I think you are comparing MEI with an approach that hasn't been worked out
here yet. So the "of course" feels a bit hasty to me.

I do in fact believe that MEI can represent these sorts of examples with
some combination of its elements. The problem is, guaranteeing that
applications will interpret those combinations in a way that reproduces the
original. When flexibility applies to implementors as well as encoders, all
bets are off.

Do you have an encoding of Alex's example and an application that will
render that encoding? (I don't, but I'm not making any claim that we have a
solution to the problem yet :-)

...Joe