Re: Measure-free scores

Glen has raised an interesting alternative: allowing barlines to be
notated, rather than thinking of measures as containers.

In fact, that is exactly the solution I use in my software LenMus/Lomse. It
allows a uniform treatment of single metric scores, measure-free scores
and, not yet mentioned, *multi-metric music*. But I'm not defending this
solution. I would like just to raise the need for careful thinking about
the a clean MNX solution not relaying on 'tricks' such as:

- non-controlling barlines for CWMN multi-metrics music.
- hidden measures / barlines for CWNM measure-free music.

Multi-metric music is also related to the issue of notating barlines at
<system> level or at <part> level, raised in another post.

In my experience it is, perhaps, simpler to deal with a solution based on
measure containers (with an special measure container for measure-free
scores). But to deal with multi-metrics and measure-free scores I have
cosen a solution based on notating barlines as staff objects and not using
measure containers gives more flexibility and is, IMO, more 'natural'.
Anyway, I'm not defending this solution. I just tried to take into
consideration the need for a clean solution in MNX for multi-metric and
measure-free scores.

Cecilio