From:   Baur Aymeric <aymeric.baur@hotmail.fr>
To:     public-music-notation-contrib@w3.org
Date:   10/06/2016 08:06
Subject:        Mordant Specification Inconsistancy

Dear All,

I've just found an inconsistency in the documentation regarding to the
mordent element and any kind of help would be appreciated.
If you please look at the SMuFL specification:
https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/common-ornaments.html chapter
4.46,
you will see the mordent glyph is the one without vertical line, whereas
the inverted-mordent has the line.
If you now take a look at the musicXML documentation:
http://usermanuals.musicxml.com/MusicXML/MusicXML.htm#EL-MusicXML-mordent.htm#kanchor1196

, you will see the exact opposite. The mordent has a vertical line and the
inverted-mordent doesn’t.
I performed some quick web searches and it appears that the meaning of the
mordent has changed during the history, therefore I can’t decide for
myself which is the good one.

So does anybody please tell me more about that, or do I miss something ?
Best regards.

Baur Aymeric
QA engineer at neoScores.

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Thomas Schöpe, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534