Re: [smufl] Add new 'Fingering' range

At the risk of pointing out the obvious:

On 2016-04-19 10:39, Jan Rosseel wrote:
> ...As a big proponent of semantic annotations, we should find a way to
> indicate fingerings, and then let the (musician) chose a “font” to
> render those. This allows to distribute and transform fingerings
> between musicians even if they have different habits of notating them....
SMuFL encodings are not the only way indicate notation or annotation,
and may not be the best way. Might "indicat[ing] fingerings" be the
domain of the notation language, rather than SMuFL?  The notation
language could even offer a way to represent the semantics of the
fingering, and independently represent which of various renderings the
notator prefers to see in the score.

On 2016-04-19 10:39, Jan Rosseel continued:
> ...So indeed, maybe this is better handled outside of SMUFL, and
> directly in the rendering engine. Which would mean that we need
> another standard to cover (semantic) annotations....
Exactly.

I don't have an opinion about the specific proposal to 'add a new
"Fingering" range'. I just want to remind us, when deep in SMuFL
discussions, not to lose sight of the rest of the music notation
architecture.

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh@jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh..com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       157-2906 West Broadway, Vancouver BC V6K 2G8, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953