Fw: [smufl] Add new 'Fingering' range

Sorry – forgot to send this reply to the mailing list.

----- Forwarded by Daniel Spreadbury/SMTG on 19/04/2016 16:36 -----

From:   Daniel Spreadbury/SMTG
To:     "Jan Rosseel" <jan@scora.net>
Date:   19/04/2016 16:35
Subject:        RE: [smufl] Add new 'Fingering' range

"Jan Rosseel" <jan@scora.net> wrote on 19/04/2016 16:25:14:

> As someone said: zero is used in strings (not only guitars) for an
> open string.

Yes, fair enough.

> And 6&7? Talk to a trombone player. 7 slide positions. Not exactly
> "fingerings" but numbers are numbers, right?

Given that Arabic numerals are exceptionally well handled by just about
any text font you can name, the only reason to encode these digits for
fingering at all is if they have a special appearance specific to music
that cannot be easily obtained using just about any text font you can
name. The intention is to encode the slightly squat, bold "didone" digits
that you typically see in published music, which are similar in style
(though not identical to) those found in the bold weight of a typeface
like Modern.

If brass players, with their multifarious ways of describing slide
positions, valves, attachments, and so on, tend to use a variety of
standard Arabic numerals with enclosures, then I would propose that we do
not need to encode these in SMuFL, as these characters are well
represented by existing text fonts.

In general, our rule with characters that are well represented by text
fonts is not to encode them in SMuFL: only if they have an appearance that
is specific to music should they be included. We have ranges of digits for
time signatures, tuplets, octave markings, figured bass, and we have some
(but not all) of the alphabetic characters for function theory symbols. I
am not opposed to including another range of digits for fingering, but I
do not want to end up encoding e.g. ranges of boxed and circled digits as
well, as these kinds of enclosures are easy for consuming applications to
create themselves, and failing that there are many fonts available that
include support for enclosures around digits of various kinds as well.

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534