Re: Notations in Scope

Hi James,

I moved your definition to a new section called "Meta Notation" that asks
about these kinds of abstract definitions of notation. It includes (with
attribution) the one you just proposed. I do not think we are ready to say
what notations are or are not in scope yet and so I took out the assertion
that all such Notations are in scope. That's something we can all discuss.

I think the proposed definition raises some very big questions about what
notation is. That's great, but I am not sure that the answers -- if they
are available -- will take us to a useful place. The definition seems so
broad as to include literally anything. You are saying (I think) we should
cover any visual graphic that describes timed musical events, but have
placed no constraints on what those events are, or how the time dimension
itself is treated.

Furthermore, it's not clear that "the graphic" in your definition always
exists. An encoding should be able to represent musical data in accepted
types like CMN without having to refer to any visual instantiation. This
definition would burden all encoders with having to encode a visual aspect
that they in many cases do not need or want.

What is the advantage of adopting this definition? If the answer is, "it
means we include all notated musical works in the past and future", then my
view is that you should focus on a separate SVG-based solution that appeals
to this breadth of visual possibilities. Such a solution will be completely
general, but not very useful to those of us who need to work with semantic
musical data in core notational idioms.

Best,

Joe Berkovitz
President