Re: Requirements Matrix and Architectural Proposals

Hello Joe,

some thoughts/questions on your architectural proposals:

- One of the central points of MusicXML "redesign" should be turning it
from an exchange format into a notation standard for both storage *and*
manipulation of musical data. This is said between the lines ("can be
incrementally modified / styled and highlighted programmatically") but
could be emphasized.

- It is definitely the right way to go towards well-established
standards, such as CSS and DOM. But although these are general
standards, their usage is strongly related to the Web/Javascript world
and they currently have less support in the native (Java, C++) world. I
think browsers and native platforms should be well balanced in the new
format.

- Question about Multiple rendering styles: "... This requirement states
that the semantic data for a document may be associated with multiple
styles, both within a given document and over a span of time."
Could you give an example?

- Concerning performance/visual styling: If we want to make the
distinction between performance and visual appearance (and I think we
should), we should also separate them in the format. The easiest but
probably not the best way would be using a naming convention for
distinguishing performance and visual attributes (properties).

Best regards,
Dominik Hörnel

--

capella-software AG
An der Söhrebahn 4

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Kassel, HRB 15433
Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Jutta Bott (Vorsitzende)
Vorstand: Dr. Dominik Hörnel

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dr. Dominik Hörnel