Re: The MusicXML Technical Requirements document

On 04/04/2016 05:54 PM, Joe Berkovitz wrote:
> Actually I have one more response on the idea of SVG representing scores --
> a positive thought.
>
> I think there is value in standardizing some optional data in an SVG
> rendering of MusicXML that can point back to the elements in the original
> MusicXML document, a sort of "traceability". This way, there is always the
> option to understand what semantic musical data some given SVG element is
> derived from -- providing one has both documents in hand, and that the SVG
> was rendered in this conformant way.
>
> This is similar in some ways to the way the Verovio viewer renders MEI into
> SVG (see http://www.verovio.org/structure.xhtml). However, it might be
> nicer to use a data- attribute to refer back to the source document, rather
> than some ID naming convention like Verovio uses.

This is a great idea, and from the looks of Wikipedia's article about
the XLink specification, SVG already supports the required attributes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLink

I've never thought about using XLink with MusicXML, but why not? This
type of solution seems useful in a wide variety of situations!

Christopher Antila
nCoda