Re: SMuFL: Additional symbols (soft accents)

Alex wrote:

> Therefore, "messa di voce" is not
> meant by that symbol, otherwise the whole passage would be flipped
> to its opposite: the swelling sustained notes would drown out the
> remaining three voices (which are obviously designed to make the
> lyrics well understandable).

I'm not sure it's part of the dictionary definition of "messa di voce"
that it must take place over the entire written duration of the note to
which it applies, even though that is typically how it is written; I don't
see any inherent inconsistency in having a short "messa di voce" that only
affects the initial portion of a note.

However, that's probably a more or less unimportant semantic distinction
at this stage. I'm convinced that this "soft accent" symbol is used often
enough to warrant its inclusion. I've logged this in GitHub to be taken
care of in a future round of updates to SMuFL:

https://github.com/w3c/smufl/issues/35

I would like to see some evidence for use of the proposed "soft accent"
combined with staccato, tenuto, and staccato-tenuto from Kentaro's
original request, if anybody can provide sources and citations; although
the criteria for inclusion in SMuFL are very fuzzy, one relatively strong
one is that the proposed symbols should actually be being used in
published music, otherwise we would have no defence against the inclusion
of every single new symbol dreamed up by composers that may well fail to
catch hold outside of a particular individual's work. (That's not to
pre-judge the combined "soft accent" glyphs: if there is evidence of them
in published music, then they would be strong candidates for inclusion in
the future.)

Thanks,

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany
Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net
President: Andreas Stelling | Managing Director: Hiroshi Sasaki, Hirofumi Osawa
Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534